Christ Episcopal Church of Mena was organized as a mission in 1899 and was admitted to the Diocese of Arkansas in 1900. The Right Reverend William R. Brown, Bishop of Arkansas, made a pledge of two hundred dollars to the St. Agnes Guild (later changed to St. Mary’s Guild) to assist with construction of the church. The congregation and the women of the Guild raised the remaining money needed to build the church and provide altar linens, choir and clergy vestments, and aisle carpeting.
The corner stone of the first church building was laid on January 19, 1899. The number of registered parishioners listed in 1900 was 48, number of families, 12.
The original building, a frame structure, was destroyed by fire on March 8, 1967. Services were held in the parish house until the new church could be completed. The church was rebuilt and dedicated on November 19, 1969 by the Right Rev. Robert R. Brown, Bishop of Arkansas. Most of the furnishings from the original church were saved from the fire and are incorporated into the present building. A small St. Francis Garden was added to the entrance in 1987.
Christ Church has been a mission since its beginning, never achieving parish status. Our congregation has been served by visiting priests, supply priests and lay readers. They have contributed greatly to the strength of our church.
Ten percent of our annual budget is designated for community outreach. In addition, we are joined as a companion congregation with the Rosebud Episcopal Mission in South Dakota.
Each December we participate in the Swaddling Clothes Project which supplies to the Mission warm clothing for newborns, food items, mittens and gloves for adults and children, and other requested items.